Wednesday, August 15, 2012

And Down Goes The Mohawk

Something new in the water always excites me. So when I heard the news that the retired 165 foot Coast Guard Cutter the USS Mohawk would be scuttled in about 90 feet of water in the neighborhood of some other reefs that I frequent when heading out of Boca Grande and Charlotte Harbor I couldn’t wait to learn a little more about it. Looks like the Mohawk attacked 14 different submarines in the span of about 4 years between 1942 and 1945. The Mohawk was the last remaining ship from the Battle of the Atlantic and Is now the Veterans Memorial Reef.
. Of course a great wreck is always going to be a tourist draw and make for excellent diving. The thing that most excites me is not the money and tourists it will bring in but the fish. I have not got to fish it yet as it was just dropped to the bottom on July the 2nd but the reports coming from divers and fisherman are amazing. Already Fantasea SCUBA in Port Charlotte have reported a Whale Shark being spotted on it. AMAZING!! Black fin Tuna and Amberjack have been caught already and the numbers of fish on it are really promising.
So if you are into fishing or diving you really need to check out South West Florida. In about a 18 Mile area South West of Charlotte Harbor and Boca Grande you will find approx 13 reefs to explore. I’ll be posting my own pictures of fish on these reefs soon and hopefully a couple in my cooler too!!
Hammerheadrealtygroup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment